Videos
Timeline
Concert History
Park Maps
RCT Files
Dictionary
Links
Contact Us

Donate to SixFlagsHouston.com today to help offset charges!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Park in Montgomery County
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SixFlagsHouston.com Forum Index -> EarthQuest
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Johnnykins
Serpent Rider
Serpent Rider

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:43 pm    Post subject: New Park in Montgomery County Reply with quote

I found this in the Conroe Courier. Could this be the beginning of something great?

Project is "dino-mite' for East County

EAST COUNTY - What is projected to be one of the greatest tourist attractions in the state will be developed in East Montgomery County after a bidding battle between 68 locations in 29 states.
Dinosaur City, a 50-acre entertainment and education establishment based on the formidable creatures of prehistoric eras, will make the county its home after the project's owner, "Dino" Don Lessem, negotiated an agreement with the East Montgomery County Improvement District.
The attraction, which will sit north of the US 59 and FM 1485 intersection, is slated to open near the summer of 2010. It will offer a museum complex with the world's largest collection of information about dinosaurs, theaters, exotic live animals, fossil digs, water features and special effects meant to place patrons at the time the prehistoric giants roamed the earth.
Other tourist draws at the attraction will include hiking trails, a large RV park, a hotel and a convention center, Lessem said.
Don Holbrook, site selection director and economic development expert, projects Dinosaur City will be the second-greatest tourist destination in the state after the Alamo by 2011. In its first few years, it will generate more than 500 jobs and has the potential to generate 1,000, EMCID officials said.
Potential revenue projections were unavailable.
Lessem said he chose the area for the "edutainment" park because of its proximity to the highly-populated Houston region and because it is centrally located between Universal Studios in Los Angeles and Disney World in Orlando, Fla. Lessem has worked to re-create dinosaur life at both locations.
He has also authored about 50 dinosaur-related books and advised Universal Studios' movie "Jurassic Park," directed by Steven Spielberg.
He said he will harness his experiences working in movies and theme parks to create Dinosaur City.
"This is the culmination of my life's work," he said. "I want it to be done right. I'm not interested in compromising."
Lessem said the untouched landscape the area offers appealed to him.
However, he said it was the East Montgomery County Improvement District's emphasis on education that ultimately impressed him.
Calling district officials "a very experienced and entrepreneurial group of community leaders with a commitment to education," Lessem said he found the area the most attractive for the venue.
"The land offered was also attractive because it was not developed in any way, so we could work in the natural beauty we want retain," he said.
Frank McCrady, president and CEO of EMCID, said the area has always been an "under-served market."
"We are the last undeveloped corridor leaving Houston," he said. "What we are experiencing now is a lot of outside investment into our area" because property prices are low.
McCrady said EMCID began serious negotiations with Project Rex, the company that owns the venture, six months ago. He said he anticipates seeing site development plans sometime between January and March 2007.
"They started their site evaluation nationwide two years ago," he said, adding the district and Lessem also included the state governor's office in the negotiations.
Andy Dill, president of the Community Chamber of East Montgomery County, said the exciting new development "puts us on the map."
Learning of the attraction around noon Tuesday, Dill said, "It will be a stepping stone."
He said the future of East Montgomery County won't look anything like it does today.
"We're very appreciative of East Montgomery County Improvement District for their efforts. They are definitely a player in bringing this project as well as others," Dill said.
Isidor Ybarra, vice chairman of EMCID, said he is excited about the boost in revenue for the Splendora and New Caney school districts.
"It is mind boggling what will occur when that happens," he said, later adding, "We're really pleased we were selected for this. We're speechless about it."

©Houston Community Newspapers Online 2006
calereneau
Texas Cyclone Rider
Texas Cyclone Rider

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh, a nice little Edutainment Center nestled amidst the sea of trailers that is known as East Montgomery County.

Just kidding Question

Actually, that's pretty exciting for the area. I know that area pretty well, and there really is a whole lot of nothing there right now. But it is growing. It will be cool to see what they do with the idea. Unfortunately the article didn't really make a mention of any type of amusement did it? Still, at this point, I'll take anything.

www.buttnuggetandthesilentcane.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Start Inhibit Dan
Texas Cyclone Rider
Texas Cyclone Rider

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Dinosaur City will be the second-greatest tourist destination in the state"

You mean this place will have Disney attendance figures? Wow!
ChrisTXHC
Greezed Lightnin' Rider
Greezed Lightnin' Rider

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Start Inhibit Dan wrote:
"Dinosaur City will be the second-greatest tourist destination in the state"

You mean this place will have Disney attendance figures? Wow!

Says in the state, meaning Tx. Not sure what they're comparing this to.
coasterlvr
Texas Cyclone Rider
Texas Cyclone Rider

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they were smart, they would add a "kiddie land" to the park. I bet people would bring there kids there just to ride on the rides.
nholt
Texas Cyclone Rider
Texas Cyclone Rider

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the Spring Observer newspaper:

Plans move forward on $500 million dinosaur park

By ROYCELYN BASTIAN News Editor
Imagine riding roller coasters and water slides whilelearning about prehistoric animals. That is the basic theme of the new dinosaur park that isslated to be built in East Montgomery County. At this time, the latest name given to the park is Earth QuestAdventures.

When Astroworld shut downa few years ago, it left the chil-dren in Houston and surround-ing areas such as EMC,Kingwood, Humble, Atascocita and Spring without an amuse-ment park to visit during springbreaks and summer vacations.With the new dinosaur park,parents will not have to travel to Dallas and San Antonio for afun vacation, which will keep all economic revenue in thearea.“

The dinosaur park, a $500million project, will be built inEast Montgomery County with the intention of having adinosaur museum for childrenand adults to learn about theanimals, a theme park consist-ing of roller coasters and water rides and a thematic hotel andspa that will be built within the park. This project is designed to keep fam ilies, along with eco-nomic revenue, in the Houston market,” said Frank McCrady,president and CEO of the East Montgomery CountyImprovement District. The dinosaur park was the topic ofdiscussion at the Rotary Club ofHumble Intercontinental.

East Montgomery County was chosen as the site for this multi-million dollar project outof approximately 64 communi-ties around the country. Theimprovement district as well asother members of the community has worked closely with staterepresentatives and senators toget a bill passed in the recent state Legislature. That effort was successful and the bill, HB4015, is currently on the governor’s desk waiting to be signed.It is projected that this 150-acresite will attract more than twoand a half million people andwill create 2,700 jobs in thearea, with 30,000 jobs just forthe construction phase. The economic revenue from this project will not only benefit EMC, it will also impact Humble and other surrounding communities.“

A portion of the prelimi-nary layout of the project will consist of dinosaurs in thefront of the park. They will bestationary during the day andat night they will put on a littleshow. It will be located northof Highway 59 over FM 1485near the Caney Creek Bridge,”McCrady said.

Construction on the EarthQuest Adventures dinosaur park is scheduled to begin in 2008 and be completed by 2011, but no later than 2012. The dinosaur museum will be created by“Dino” Don Lessem, a paleon-tologist who was an advisor tothe “Jurassic Park” film.

For more information on the project, contact EMCID at 281-354-4419. rbastian@hcnonline.comAn artist’s rendering shows the entrance to the dinosaur parkthat will be built in East Montgomery County. These drawingsand other design plans have not received final approval and are subject to change before construction begins in 2008.
nholt
Texas Cyclone Rider
Texas Cyclone Rider

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the Spring Observer newspaper:

Plans move forward on $500 million dinosaur park

By ROYCELYN BASTIAN News Editor
Imagine riding roller coasters and water slides while learning about prehistoric animals. That is the basic theme of the new dinosaur park that is slated to be built in East Montgomery County. At this time, the latest name given to the park is Earth Quest Adventures.

When Astroworld shut downa few years ago, it left the children in Houston and surrounding areas such as EMC, Kingwood, Humble, Atascocita and Spring without an amusement park to visit during springbreaks and summer vacations. With the new dinosaur park, parents will not have to travel to Dallas and San Antonio for a fun vacation, which will keep all economic revenue in the area.“

The dinosaur park, a $500million project, will be built inEast Montgomery County with the intention of having adinosaur museum for childrenand adults to learn about the animals, a theme park consist-ing of roller coasters and water rides and a thematic hotel and spa that will be built within the park. This project is designed to keep fam ilies, along with economic revenue, in the Houston market,” said Frank McCrady,president and CEO of the East Montgomery County Improvement District. The dinosaur park was the topic of discussion at the Rotary Club ofHumble Intercontinental.

East Montgomery County was chosen as the site for this multi-million dollar project outof approximately 64 communi-ties around the country. Theimprovement district as well asother members of the community has worked closely with staterepresentatives and senators toget a bill passed in the recent state Legislature. That effort was successful and the bill, HB4015, is currently on the governor’s desk waiting to be signed. It is projected that this 150-acresite will attract more than twoand a half million people andwill create 2,700 jobs in thearea, with 30,000 jobs just forthe construction phase. The economic revenue from this project will not only benefit EMC, it will also impact Humble and other surrounding communities.“

"A portion of the preliminary layout of the project will consist of dinosaurs in the front of the park. They will be stationary during the day and at night they will put on a little show. It will be located north of Highway 59 over FM 1485 near the Caney Creek Bridge," McCrady said.

Construction on the EarthQuest Adventures dinosaur park is scheduled to begin in 2008 and be completed by 2011, but no later than 2012. The dinosaur museum will be created by“Dino” Don Lessem, a paleon-tologist who was an advisor tothe “Jurassic Park” film.

For more information on the project, contact EMCID at 281-354-4419. rbastian@hcnonline.comAn artist’s rendering shows the entrance to the dinosaur parkthat will be built in East Montgomery County. These drawingsand other design plans have not received final approval and are subject to change before construction begins in 2008.
Valenrandy
Texas Cyclone Rider
Texas Cyclone Rider

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

an improvment indeed. From 50 to 150 acres!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
johnychen
Greezed Lightnin' Rider
Greezed Lightnin' Rider

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like we may actually have two parks with coasters in them.

Please pledge my MS150 ride
http://main.nationalmssociety.org/goto/johnychen
http://johnychen.net/astroworld/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
dbrunk01
XLR-8 Rider
XLR-8 Rider

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked up the actual bill in the docket with the Legislature and according to the records, Governor Perry signed the bill on June 15th.

So, if that was the last hurdle - it looks like we have ourselves another park. Very Happy
Apeman
Texas Cyclone Rider
Texas Cyclone Rider

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The park is being built 5 minutes from my house. I have seen surveyors out there recently and you can TDOT cleared quite a bit of land for them while working on the expansion of 59. Now there a thought that they will eaith buy up the neighborhood next to the proprty since it's samll to have even more land. i have acually been on the land wher this will be built many times in the past. When I was a kid we used to ride our 4 wheelers back there alot.
dravenspirit
Viper Rider
Viper Rider

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully it will strike a nice balance between education and entertainment, because I dont believe education alone is enough to draw big numbers. Look at Space Center Houston for instance. And the whole animatronic dinosaur thing has been done numerous times before. They have to offer something really unique to make it worthwhile. Maybe something like Epcot meets Islands of Adventure? Of course either park probably cost signifigantly more than the $500 mil set aside for DinoWorld.
gcbrewer
Serpent Rider
Serpent Rider

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really excited about this announcement. I was never too sure that this park was going to even be a real theme park with rides and coasters. I thought is was just going to be a silly exhibit and would either add rides and coasters eventully to become a real theme park or just fade away. But this announcement is great news on so many levels.

As much as I loved AW, this park has the potential to become a better park than AW probably ever could have. The area is more scenic and should have lots of shade making it cooler, more comfortable and prettier.

Another piece of good news in my opinion is that they are changing the name. EarthQuest Adventures sounds like a much better name. Dinosaur City sounded kind of fly-by-night, cheap and cheesy to me, like some road side exhibit you find in the middle of nowhere. But "Earth Quest Adventures" sounds like a serious destination park almost "Disney like". It sounds more educational, scientific and fun.

Maybe Houston will finally get the park it deserves. Everyone keep their fingers crossed.

This is such awesome news!
Texas Cyclone Fan
Texas Cyclone Rider
Texas Cyclone Rider

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure about the "dinosaur" theming, but it will be great to have the amusement park! "Six Flags" will probably really regret leaving the Houston market if it takes off and is successful.
Start Inhibit Dan
Texas Cyclone Rider
Texas Cyclone Rider

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure the new regime has been regretting the loss of Astroworld. Especially with the loss of Jazzland as well.

Remember when I said... STRANGER THINGS HAVE HAPPENED! Every new beginning comes from another beginings end...

Parc sounds like they are going to really care about Splashtown... Who knows what ST's future will be. I'm just glad Splashtown is still there.[/i]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SixFlagsHouston.com Forum Index -> EarthQuest All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 1 of 24

Jump to: